Berlin, Maryland


The town of Berlin had its start around the 1790s, part of the Burley Plantation, a 300-acre land grant dating back to 1677. The name Berlin is believed to be derived from a contraction of "Burleigh Inn", a tavern located at the crossroads of the Philadelphia Post Road (now South Main Street) and Sinepuxent Road (Tripoli Street). 

Berlin incorporated as a town in 1868. In the early 20th century, Berlin was known as a rest stop for travelers on their way to the coastal resort of Ocean City, as well as a stop for tourists who enjoyed hunting and fishing on the lower Eastern Shore of Maryland. 

20150812-DSC_2972-Exploring_Berlin.JPG
20150812-DSC_2979-Exploring_Berlin.JPG
20150812-DSC_2970-Exploring_Berlin.JPG
20150812-DSC_3002-Exploring_Berlin.JPG
20150812-DSC_3005-Exploring_Berlin.JPG
20150812-DSC_2914-Exploring_Berlin-2.JPG
20150812-DSC_2928-Exploring_Berlin.JPG
20150812-DSC_2942-Exploring_Berlin.JPG
20150812-DSC_2947-Exploring_Berlin.JPG
20150812-DSC_3043-Exploring_Berlin.JPG